Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Montana Silence - Josie Jade, Janie Crouch (Calamitte Jane Pub - July 2023)

Series: Resting Warrior Ranch (Book 7)
 
Raised in a cult where opinions and freedom in women were not tolerated, Mara Greene narrowly escaped a life as a child bride—one where she would’ve been shared and owned by all the men in the compound.
 
Her testimony helped put the cult leader in prison, but she’s never truly gotten past the horrors inflicted on her. Despite having found a safe haven at the Resting Warrior Ranch, her conditioning to keep silent persists.
 
Here she’s safe, but still always alone and trapped in her silence.
 
Liam Anderson is always the first team member to crack a smile or a joke. No one—not even his Navy SEAL brothers—knows about his painful past or the truth he hides behind his charming mask.
 
He’s captivated by fragile Mara and wants to help her heal. Watching her find her voice is the most amazing thing he’s ever known. And it doesn’t take long to realize she’s healing him just as much.
 
When Mara’s past resurfaces, Liam won’t let her face it alone. He’ll be her personal protector no matter what it cost.
 
No one is going to steal her voice again.

 
I started reading this book at about 9 pm last night and was so engrossed in the story I didn't put it down until I turned the last page at 2 am. Mara has intrigued me since the first book, and I've eagerly awaited her story. I've also been waiting for Liam's tale, the last of the seven founders of the Resting Warrior Ranch.
 
It was obvious that something in Mara's past had turned her into an almost ghost-like figure. She is so quiet and self-effacing that she frequently blends into the background. Throughout the previous six books, she has somewhat emerged from her shell. However, she's been experiencing more flashbacks to her childhood as a cult member. I ached for her as I read about her abuse and her narrow escape from becoming a child bride. I loved the inner strength that helped her provide the testimony that put the leader in prison. I'm not sure how she came to Resting Warrior Ranch, but it has been a safe haven for her. She has become part of the RWR family even though she doesn't realize what that means.
 
Quiet, beautiful Mara captivated Liam from the moment she arrived at the ranch and was the first to step up if she needed something. He understands her skittishness even if he doesn't know what caused it and is careful to maintain his distance. I've enjoyed watching his feelings for her grow during the previous books as he wishes for the chance to tell her how he feels. Liam is there for her when he witnesses one of her flashback/panic attacks. I loved his gentleness as he helped her through it. I could almost feel his hug as he gave her the comfort she needed. I loved watching him take a chance and ask her to dance and his relief and happiness when she said yes. He has no idea she is just as attracted to him but doesn't know how to clue him in.
 
Mara's life is about to get complicated as her past becomes part of her present. When an item from that past is delivered to her at the ranch, all of the old fears come rushing to the surface. Rather than facing them alone, Mara discovers she has all the support she can want. Liam steps up as her protector. I loved the scene where he brought her to his home, where only one other person had ever been inside. Liam's nervousness and vulnerability were endearing as he opened his home and his heart to her. I loved their deep connection, ability to communicate without words and the growing love that makes it all possible.
 
The story's suspense kept me as glued to the pages as the romance. It revolves around the imprisoned cult leader and whether he should be paroled. Is he the one sending the creepy packages to Mara, or is someone else involved? I ached for Mara as she contemplated testifying before the parole board. I loved her determination to prevent what happened to her from happening to others. I felt her fear as she faced him and cried at its effect on her. But that isn't the end, and as Mara gathers her courage for a second round, an unexpected twist puts her in extreme danger. I loved watching the men of the RWR band together to pull off another incredible rescue. Even better, I loved that Mara found her voice, inner strength, and courage to fight for herself. The final confrontation was intense and kept me on the edge of my seat until it was over.
 
As always, I love the close relationships among the characters of this series. In this book, it was great to see Mara become closer to the other women of the RWR. I especially enjoyed the scenes with her and Lena at the coffee shop and the fun teasing as her relationship with Liam became known. The men have been through so much together that they rarely have to speak of their feelings to know that their comrades have their backs. In previous books, Liam was quick to tease the others about their burgeoning relationships, and it was fun to see him realize that he would now be on the receiving end.
 
I thought this might be the end of the series now that all seven have found love, but another book that stars the psychiatrist Rayne Westerfield is coming. I love how she has helped our warriors and their ladies, and I'm excited to read her story.


No comments:

Post a Comment